Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Where Did My Words Go?

As a mom, I'm used to misplacing things, or more likely having things I've placed moved by a small person that little old ladies in any store, ever, like to call "little helpers".  I'm relatively certain they are responsible for my newest "missing" article - but it's a hard one to pin on them...  my words are missing.

I found something I'd written a decade ago, nothing of importance, except that it was pre-kid and it was amazing.  Complex thoughts combined intelligently in a series of sentences that used words I don't even remember knowing.  I had to look twice to make sure I really did write it. 

These days, I get a little edgy when it's time to practice the weekly vocab with my 3rd grader.  Sure I know what the words mean but can I define them?  I'm lucky to be able to string a verbal sentence together without an awkward pause or the words "thingy" and "stuff".  What happened?!

I read, I work, I communicate with grown people on a daily basis and even though my poor, tired brain has been steeped in baby babble for the last 7.5 years, I should still be able to communicate like an educated person... yet, no.

I can almost feel the words I used to know wiggling in my brain.  Like a caterpillar just about to emerge as a butterfly.  When I'm trying to use them in conversation, I know they're in there... they're a whisper I can't quite hear.  I just can't catch them.  Where did my words go?  I wonder if years of reading children's books, followed by sleepless nights, has caused the smart parts of my brain to lock themselves in a safe room until the onslaught of Dr. Suess and Pete the Cat subside.  Every once in a while a good word will slip out (re: see "onslaught" above), but when that happens I just think the ol' gray matter is testing the waters.  A little "If we let you have your brain back, will you use it properly?" trial period. No Brain, not yet. It's fall/winter/spring kid sickness season now, we won't sleep right until March, don't expect too much on the intellectual front.

Should I care that I need to nod and smile when someone is raving or ranting about their amazing... (what's a good word like adventure... but not really adventure... we'll just go with...) thingy... raving or ranting about their thingy with words I no longer know?  Excuse me, I speak mommy now, can you please keep it to words with less than six letters and make it rhyme?

I debated on investing in a word of the day calendar to try to sound interesting again, but considering it's the middle of October and my monthly calendar still says September, I believe that may be a waste of money. 

So bear with me, as I rely on my kids' weekly vocab lessons to rebuild my vocabulary 10 words at a time and if I look confused when you explain something that doesn't include counting shapes or feature talking animals, just dumb it on down to "thingy" and "stuff" and I'll try to catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment