Monday, January 12, 2015

Ruts for Dinner

Meatball Soup again?!
It’s 4 o’clock again and I know that within the next 15 minutes four or more people are going to be asking me the question I’ve already been asking myself for the last two hours, without answer. “What’s for dinner?”

We've got beef and pork and chicken.  There’s pasta, potatoes and rice.  At least some frozen veggies in the freezer, why can’t I think of anything for dinner?

The dinner rut happens a few times a year, usually as the seasons signature meals lose their novelty.   Meatloaf, soup, pasta and hot dishes have lost my interest as they've been taking turns on the menu for the last couple months.  When you cook for your family 325-plus days a year, you’re bound to run out of ideas at some point.  And, we’re in a rut at our house.

I start my grocery shopping prep by planning 10 days of meals and it usually works great.  But lately it’s a pasta dish, Mexican dish, meatloaf/roast, pizza, soup, repeat.  I recently found myself looking to the kids’ school lunch menu for inspiration. 

I've got over 500 pins on my Pinterest “Yummy Things” board, the AllRecipes.com app on my phone and no less than a dozen cookbooks in my house.  I should be able to crawl my way out of this rut somehow!  A year ago I even went through all my “pins” and recipes and made a kind of index of meals, sorted by type of meat, type of cooking, quick meals, kid faves, etc.  There were 125 ideas on there at least, but it went missing – probably has a crayon drawing of a tractor on it and is probably mixed in with the kids’ stash of “Mom!!! Don’t throw that away!” artwork.  I haven’t been motivated to recreate it.


So what’s for dinner? Tonight it was meatloaf and besides the side of peas there were no complaints.  Maybe the rut isn’t the food itself, but my enjoyment in making it.   It might be time to work a few new recipes into the rotation, trying something new is always fun, even if my picky, 7 year old, food critic doesn't approve.   And if that doesn't work, it’s only a few more months until nights of pasta salads and grilled steaks, brats and burgers with the occasional longing for a hot bowl of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment