Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Steely Sweetness of Motherhood

 "Two Mothers" by Leon Maxime Faivre 1888
(I added the undies for a facebook post)
It's amazing the transformation that takes place when your first baby is placed in your arms.  Whether you were the quiet girl, prissy girl, bitchy girl.... any kind of girl before becoming a mom, we all turn into the woman in this 1888 painting, "Two Mothers" by Leon Maxime Faivre.

I stumbled upon this painting while googling something for a client and it caught me.  I looked at it and instantly felt a connection.  I went back to work, but I needed to see it again. I found a better version and looked at it some more and I felt like she was me.  The image I've shared here is one that I added undies to so I could share it with my friends on facebook. (they frown on boobies and little boy parts).  But if anything, it makes her even more me... and here's why:

At first glance I could relate in that I often look this disheveled when I leave the home with my kids.  But beyond that was the transformation I mentioned, that moment you gaze on your child's face and you know you will love them and tenderly hold them forever - but also that you would go to any length to protect them. You magically become this ball of mush, yet as strong and resilient as steel at the same time.

I love how she holds her children in one arm, curving her body around them, while the other arm grips an ax ready to battle the shadowy beast approaching from distance. In the easy living days of the 21st century, I rarely have to battle actual beasts (though we have had a bear in our yard... so maybe some day) but she is the perfect metaphor for all I do protect my children from - broken hearts, bedroom boogie monsters, dangerous strangers, the list goes on.

The beauty of motherhood - or maybe the super power of motherhood, is that we gain the ability to harness a steely, rage-ful strength toward an enemy, while still projecting that enduring love and tenderness to our kids.

I also love that this painting makes me feel the role of a mother has not changed since the caveman days.  As a mom I fret over whether I'm doing everything right, I think most moms feel the same way.  This painting gives me hope... if we protect and love our kiddos with the same passion as our cave woman ancestors the human race will survive until neon pink bras and cartoon undies look as old as an animal hide dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment